Australian Consulate-General
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage


Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI) 

If you are an Australian citizen or a citizen of another country domiciled in Australia who intends to get married in Vietnam, you are required to include a "Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage" (CNI) in your marriage application to the Vietnamese authorities.

Completing a CNI does not mean you are legally married - you will still need to get married. The Vietnamese Government has the authority to solemnise marriages in Vietnam.

To apply for a CNI, please complete the following 

  1. Book an appointment online by visting  and choosing ‘Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage’
  2. Complete the Application for Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage form. You must provide details of both you and your partner. Incomplete forms will not be processed. DO NOT SIGN THE FORM.
  3. Attend your appointment with your unsigned application form and original or certified true copies of supporting documents. These include:
  • For you:
    • i. Australian passport or foreign passport with Australian permanent resident visa or Australian Birth Certificate;
    • ii. Divorce or Death certificate (if divorced or widowed);
    • iii. Single status certificate (if any)
  • For your partner:
    • i. Passport or Identity Card (e.g. Vietnamese passport or Vietnamese ID);
    • ii. Divorce or Death certificate (if divorced or widowed);
    • iii. Single status certificate (if any)
  • Documents provided in a language other than English must be accompanied by an official English translation. The translation must be done by a Notary Public in Vietnam. 
  1. Pay the notarial fee. This fee is non-refundable. Fees are payable in Vietnamese Dong by cash or credit card and will vary due to exchange rate fluctuations.
  2. After you pay the fee, your signature will be witnessed by a Consular Officer.
  3. The CNI (in English and Vietnamese) will be available for collection on the following working day from 9:00am – 12:00pm at the Australian Consulate-General upon presentation of your payment receipt. Please select "DOCUMENT COLLECTION" on the ticket kiosk and wait to be called and served.

NOTE: Australian citizens are not required to submit a Statutory Declaration of their marital status / Single Status Certificate / Divorce Certificate to Vietnamese local authorities.