Australian Consulate-General
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

COVID-19 Returning to Australia FAQs

Last Updated: 17 November 2021

This page contains advice for Australians in Vietnam who are travelling to Australia.

Q: What does my vaccination certificate need to include?

We have been advised foreign certificates will need to meet the following criteria:

  • Issued by a national or state/provincial-level authority or an accredited vaccination provider
  • Written in English or accompanied by a certified translation
  • Containing at a minimum:
    • name as it appears in the traveller's passport
    • either date of birth or passport number
    • the vaccine brand name, and
    • the date of each dose or the date on which a full course of immunisation was completed

You can have your certificate translated from Vietnamese to English at any Vietnamese notary public (văn phòng công chứng)

Read more: Guidance on foreign vaccination certificates | Australian Passport Office (

Q: Will my vaccine be recognised?

The vaccine you received must be approved or recognised by the Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA). 

To qualify as fully vaccinated,  you need to have had either

  • Two full doses at least 14 days apart of
    • AstraZeneca Vaxzevria
    • AstraZeneca COVISHIELD
    • Pfizer/Biontech Comirnaty
    • Moderna Spikevax
    • Sinovac Coronavac
    • Bharat (Covaxin)
    • Sinopharm (BBIBP-CorV) (for ages 18-60 only)
  • Or one dose of:
    • Johnson & Johnson/Janssen-Cilag COVID Vaccine.

Seven days must have passed since the final dose of vaccine in a course of immunisation.

Mixed doses count towards being fully vaccinated as long as all vaccines are approved or recognised by the TGA.  

Doses of Sinopharm (BBIBP-CorV) only count towards being fully vaccinated if administered when the traveller was aged from 18 to 60 years.

Read more: Guidance on foreign vaccination certificates | Australian Passport Office (

Q: Do I need my certificate certified or notarised by the Consulate or Embassy?


There is no requirement to have your Vietnamese vaccination certificate certified or notarised by the Consulate or Embassy. Your certificate must meet the requirements outlined here:

Q: Do I need a batch dose number on my vaccination certificate?

No. Batch numbers are not required on foreign vaccination certificates.

For advice on what is required, please read here: Guidance on foreign vaccination certificates | Australian Passport Office (

Q: I was vaccinated in Vietnam. Can I still register my vaccination on the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR)?

If you’ve received your vaccination in Vietnam, an Australian health professional can add them to the AIR when you return. To find out how to register your vaccination record in Vietnam, go to the Services Australia website.

Read more: Getting help during coronavirus (COVID-19) - Help adding overseas vaccinations - Services Australia

Q: What if I’ve recovered from COVID with only one vaccine dose?

You do not meet the definition of fully vaccinated unless you have received a full course of vaccine or are medically exempt from vaccination.

Q: What if I'm medically unable to be vaccinated?

You will need to provide evidence of a medical exemption. If you cannot provide certifiable evidence, you may be required to quarantine. You may wish to discuss your situation with your airline, who is responsible for verifying your documents at check-in.

Q: What if my child under 12 isn't vaccinated?

Unvaccinated children of all ages and their parent or guardian may be subject to certain requirements in your state or territory, including modified quarantine conditions. Please consult your state or territory’s health department for further information. The Australian Chief Health Officer has announced special arrangements  for certain returning Australian children aged 12-17 years who are not fully vaccinated.

Q: What about my 12-17 year old child?

If you’re returning to ACT, NSW or Victoria with a child 12 to 17 years old who isn’t fully vaccinated, they must

  • undertake a PCR test within 24 hours of arriving and
  • quarantine at home for 7 days.

They must take a second PCR test on day 5 of their isolation period.

More information:  Learn about returning Australian children (Department of Health)

Q: How do I get the Australian internationally recognised proof of vaccination document?

Australia's International COVID−19 Vaccination Certificate (ICVC) was made available to the public on 19 October 2021.

Travellers eligible for the ICVC can use it immediately if they are overseas and have their vaccination status recorded in the Australian Immunisation Register. 

Read more: International COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate